New Awards/Grants/Invited Talks
1. New Awards/Grants:
- ImageinLife, funded by Horizon 2020- Marie
Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Networks,
2017-2020, Rene Doursat (PI), Dr. Liangxiu Han
(Co-PI), Silvester Czanner (Co-PI) and Moi-Hoon
- CityVerve- Internet of Things City Demonstrator,
funded by Innovate UK, 2016-2018, MMU team: Thomas
Jefferies (PI), Dr. Liangxiu Han (Co-PI), Ulysses
Sengupta (Co-PI) and Bamidele Adebisi (Co-PI)).
- SME-Oriented Collaborative Customer Insight
Platform for User-driven RdM (SOC-UDRdM), funded by
EPSRC-Recode Network, 2016-2017. ( Dr. Liu Ying (PI), Dr.
Liangxiu Han (co-PI), In collaboration with Cardiff
University, Bristol University, Cranfield University, Coventry
University, ASTUTE Network, Quantitative Sciences, P&G UK,
- Development of a cloud-based environment
(Platform-as-a-service)" for smart city
initiatives, funded by Innovate UK, 2015-2018.( Lead
Academic: Dr. Liangxiu Han; Knowledge-base
supervisor: Nick Whittaker, and Support Academic:
- Automatic Glaucoma Disease Detection, funded by Optos,
2015-2016 ( PI: Dr. Liangxiu Han)
- 13th IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous
Intelligence and Computing, http://uic2016.sciencesconf.org/
- Featured article: our paper entitled "Retinal Area
Detector from Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscope (SLO) Images for
Diagnosing Retinal Diseases" has been selected as a
featured article in IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health
- The International Workshop on "Big Data and Smart
Sustainable Society" to be held in conjunction with 14th
IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing and
- An invited talk at British Library: Large-scale data processing and data analytics on images ( with applications to Health, Food). https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/curious-images-tickets-14438270255.
- MMU funding, DIVINE: Building a wearable device for intelligent control of environment using Google Glass: 2015 ( PI: Dr. Liangxiu Han, Co-PI: Nick Whittaker)
- Sustainable Society Network+ Award (RCUK Digital
Economy), 2014-2015, COPE--automatic diagnosis of
crop diseases from images ( PI: Dr. Liangxiu Han), in
collaboration with Fera (Food and Environment Research
disease Detection software demonstrator
- Research seminar at Division of Geography and Environmental
Management (Dr. James Cheng, Dr. Jianguang Tu and Dr. Liangxiu
Han. You can download slides here
- Public Professorial Lecture -- Surfing the data tsunami: A new paradigm for big data processing and analytics (Dr. Liangxiu Han). Please register your interest at here https://l-han50lect.eventbrite.co.uk. You can download Slides here.
- MMU funding, 2014, Parallel Computation for
Sustainable Accessibility-based Planning Support ( Co-PI: Dr.
Liangxiu Han), In collaboration with Dr. James Cheng (PI) and
Dr. JianGuang Tu (Co-PI) from School of Science
and Environment, MMU.
- ZEMCH Network -- England Regional Center (ICT for Energy,
http://www.zemch.org/regional_centres) is alive, you can join
it at Linkedin here
- The workshop
on “Big" Data Processing and Analytics in Biomedical Research.
Register a place at
- A fully funded PhD studentship available for home UK and EU students in relation to occupancy pattern detection for energy efficiency and comfort management in buildings based on environment sensing (The project duration is from 2013---2016. DOS: Dr. Liangxiu Han). The specific requirement can be found here!
- Welcome our visiting research fellow - Dr. Guillermo Lopez
Taboada from University of Coruna, Spain.(Data intensive
- BBSRC Grant, 2012-2013, "A Cloud Approach to
Automatic Gene Expression Pattern Recognition and
Annotation Over Large-Scale Images," in collaboration
with MRC, Human Genetics Unit, University of Edinburgh.
A Postdoctoral Research Associate (RA) for this project is being recruited now! This post has been filled now!
- Higher Education Academy Grant (BLOSSOM), 2012-2013, 2 RAs are wanted, RA1 and RA2 ( positions has been filled now)
- Amazon Education Research Grant (Amazon Web Services), 2011 - 2013 "Large-scale Gene Expression Pattern Annotation in Images of Mouse Embryo", in collaboration with MRC, Human Genetics Unit, University of Edinburgh.
- Dorothy Hodgkin Postgraduate Award, RCUK/EPSRC,
2011-2015. Project: " Automatic Detection of Features in
Retinal Images to Improve Diagnosis of Eye Disease", in
collaboration with the industry.
- TENOVUS SCOTLAND Award, 2011-2012, Project:
"Mathematical Understanding of Obesity and Type 2
Diabetes in Mouse Models", in collaboration with
University of Aberdeen.
2. Invited Talks:
- An invited Talk at UCLAN, "Big data processing and data analytics on images" on 22, April, 2015.
- An invited talk at SEBP 2015, Society Evidence Based
Policing Annual Conference on "Automatic ICT-enabled
Approaches to Detection and Prevention of Cyberbullying"
on 15, April, 2015.
- An invited Speaker at British Library: Large-scale data processing and data analytics on images, on 18, December, 2014
- An invited speaker at GRE 2014 (Grand Renewable Energy 2014 International Conference, GRE2014 workshop) on 28, July, 2014, Japan.
- "Failure-Aware, Semantic-supported, Dynamic Resource
Discovery in Large-Scale Distributed Systems", An invited
speaker at The 2014 Symposium on ‘Service-Oriented Next
Generation Networks' on 4, July, Liverpool Hope University.
- “Big Data Processing and Analytics in the Cloud”, An
invited talk in University of Kent, UK, in 14, April, 2014
- "Automatic Annotation of Gene Expression Patterns for Mouse Embryo", School of Computing, at Beihang University, September, 2012, P. R. China (http://scse.buaa.edu.cn/news/554.html)
- "Data Mining Strategies over Gene Expression Images", at the Open Science Data Cloud NSF PIRE Workshop, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, July, 2012, (http://research.nesc.ac.uk/taxonomy/term/88)
- “Parallel Data Intensive applications in the cloud”, Seminar talk at the East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, P. R. China, June, 2011
- “Parallel Data Intensive applications in the cloud---A
data mining use case study in the Biomedical Sciences”,
Seminar talk at the University of Manchester, November, 2010,