Supervision on Postdocs, Visting Fellow PhD and MSc.
1. Postdoc Research Associate(s)
- Dr. Zhenwen Huang since June, 2016
- Dr. Muhammad Salman Haleem since June, 2015
- Dr. Zheng Xie, who has been working on the BBSRC
funded project since November, 2012
- Dr. Abby Levenberg, who was working on the web spam
detection project in University of Edinburgh, in 2010. Nowa
Research Associate at the University of Oxford.
2. Visiting Research Fellow
- Dr. Guillermo Lopez, Taboada, University of a Coruna, Spain.
3. PhD Project Supervision
- 2011-2015: Automatic detection of features in retinal images
to improve diagnosis of eye disease ( EPSRC DHPA, Academic
supervisor/DoS). PhD student: Muhammad Salman Haleem
- 2013-2016: A framework for performance enhancement in
wireless ad hoc networks (DOS). PhD student: Muhammad Jasim
- 2013-2016: Occupancy pattern detection for energy saving and
comfort management in buildings based on environmental sensing
(DOS). PhD student: Jose luis gomez ortega
- 2014-2017. A Correlation-Based System for Real-Time Advanced
Persistent Threat Detection and Prediction (Co-supervisor).
PhD student: Ibrahim Ghafir
- 2016- 2019: A Novel Autonomous Intrusion Detection and Prevention Framework for IoT Ecosystems (DoS). PhD student: Ehtesham Hassan.
- 2016-2019: Survival and spread of extremist opinions in large-scale social networks ( Co-Supervisor). PhD student: Adam Coates
- 2016-2019: Predicting and Mitigating Road Traffic Congestion
(DoS). PhD student: Zoe Bartlett
4. PhD Examination and MSc. Program Examination
- PhD examination (External, University of Manchester): Azar Shahgholian. Thesis title: Exploring the relationship between the Social Network Profile of S&P1500 Firms and their Environmental and Financial Profiles, January, 2016.
- PhD examination (External, Loughborough University): Zhexing Yan. Thesis title: Developing User Interface for Integrating Airport Operations. November, 2015.
- PhD examination (Internal, MMU): Fayez AlFayez. Thesis title: A Wireless Sensor Network System for Border Security and Crossing Detection. December, 2015
- PhD examination (Internal, MMU): Choon-Ching Ng. Face Age
Estimation Using Wrinkle Patterns, October, 2015.
- PhD examination (Internal, MMU): Abdelrahman
Abuarqoub. Thesis: Cooperative Mobility Maintenance Techniques
Information Extraction from Mobile Wireless Sensor Networks,
- PhD examination (External, University of A Coruña in Spain): Sabela Ramos Garea, Thesis: High Performance Java for Multi-core Systems, June. 2013
- PhD examination (Internal, MMU): Harco Leslie Hendric Spits Warnars. Thesis: Attribute-oriented induction mining of high-level emerging patterns, Jan. 2013
- MSc. programme examination on Computer Security and
Forensics (External): University of Bedfordshire,
5. PhD opportunities
- A fully funded PhD studentship available for Home UK/EU students! Please refer to PhD scholarship specification document here The deadline is 22nd, March, 2013!
- Two fully funded PhD studentships available for
International students and Home UK/EU students! Please refer
to PhD scholarship 1 (Link
here) and PhD scholarship 2 (Link Here). These two
posts have been filled!
I am always looking for prospective PhD students, who would
like to conduct research in the areas below:
- Data mining, Incremental Learning for large datasets (e.g, Spam, Images, Videos)
- Security in Cloud
- Network Intrusion Detection
- Self-adaptation to Dynamic Failures for Petabyte Computing
- Networked Distributed Computing System
- Architectures for Data-Intensive Applications
- Semantic-Based Resource Discovery across Large-Scale
Distributed Computing Environments
The Candidates are expected to have a First Class (or 2:1) and
those with higher qualifications and relevant experience will
have an added advantage. Potential candidates are welcome
to send me your CV and contact me via my email (L.Han@mmu.ac.uk)
to discuss PhD projects.